Distinctive stamp of the 1st Armoured Division
Armor, by its tasks on the battlefield, related to the hussar, therefore on the distinctive stamp of the 1st Armoured Division we can see a helmet and a hussar wing. One of the originators of the stamp was captain Stanisław Glasser. The final version was designed by Adam Bunsch. The stamp was approved by the Commander in Chief by the order from 11th August 1942.
Painted on vehicles belonging to the division, on a white background. Among others, on tin plates sized 25×18.7 in protective colours, in a white rectangle 11,2×17,5 cm on which was placed the distinctive stamp of the division. In the middle of a round plate is placed the hussar helmet with an attached wing projecting above the plate. Framing of the plate, the helmet and the wing are black, whereas the plate is orange – the scheme of colours corresponds with armor pennants from before 1939. The distinctive stamps were painted on the front left fender or on the left side of the vehicle.
Apart from the distinctive stamp, on vehicles of the armoured division were written letters PL of black colour in white oval – a sign of national affiliation, as well as a number – code tactical marking of the division in the form of a colourful plate with a codified marking of the division, painted on the right fender or on the right side of the vehicle. The markings were placed also at the back of the vehicle.
On the front of the vehicle was written also the minimal bearing capacity of bridges and viaducts which a given vehicle could cross – a yellow circle with a black number denoting the bearing capacity. The registration number was written on broadsides of the armoured vehicles or on doors of passenger compartments. On the tank towers was written the marking of subdivisions in the form of a contour of geometrical figures in colours which were assigned to individual regiments of the division. Moreover, in the West, white stars were painted on the allied vehicles.
Stamp on the sleeve
It had a size 70×48 mm and was embroidered on a fabric pad 90×50 mm. In the middle of a round plate was placed a hussar helmet with an attached wing projecting above the plate. The framing of the plate, a helmet and a wing, were black, whereas the very plate was orange – the arrangement of colours corresponds with armor pennants from before 1939. The contours of the feathers are white. The stamp was worn on the left sleeve 20 mm below the badge POLAND, on jackets and coats. The stamp was also painted on vehicles belonging to the division.